What Personal Information Do We Collect?
Information You Provide to Us
The personal information we collect from, and about, you may vary depending on how you engage with our Services and the information you provide voluntarily. We may collect personal information directly from you or otherwise in connection with your use of the Services, such as:
- Contact Information, including your name, contact details (such as a postal address and email address), event or conference registration and related information (including dietary restrictions or photos and videos taken at events), and communication preferences.
- Inquiry Information, including information provided in messages sent through forms or surveys, to our email addresses or via phone. This also may include information provided when you sign up for our newsletters.
- Account Information, including name, username, account ID, date of birth, contact information, profile information, saved, “liked,” or bookmarked items (e.g., articles or recipes), payment and purchase history information, and subscription information.
- Demographic Information, including age, gender, race, income, occupation, marital status, and information about your household/family status, including your household size and the length of time at your residence.
- User-Generated Content, including personal information you choose to provide about yourself when posting comments or reviews and participating in any Services. Please be aware that information you post may be viewed, used, or captured by anyone who visits the Services, therefore, you should avoid posting sensitive personal information that you would not want to be available to the public.
- Contest, Sweepstakes, and Survey Information, including information provided when you enter a contest or sweepstakes, information included in any responses submitted through surveys or questionnaires, or the content of any testimonials.
Information Automatically Collected
The type of information automatically collected includes:
- Analytics/Usage data, including the path taken to our Services, through our Services, and when exiting our Services, usage and activity on or in connection with our Services (e.g., pages visited, links clicked, videos watched), metrics on how many emails we send are actually opened and which attachments or links are opened, clicked, or viewed (such as via pixels, as described further below). We may also use third-party tools to collect information you provide to us or information about how you use the Services, including mouse movements, scrolling, clicks, and keystroke activity on the Services and other browsing, search, or purchasing behavior. These tools may also record information you enter when you interact with our Services or engage in chat or other features through our Services.
- Location data, including geographic location we or our third-party providers may collect, such as via permissions within the app operating system or browser functionality.
- Advertising/Advertising measurement data, including data associated with your view of, or your clicks on, advertisements served on our Services, cookie IDs or other digital or proprietary identifiers (e.g., iOS IDFA, Google AAID) assigned to such device, and device metadata, analytics/usage data, and location data described above, in each case, for purposes of serving advertising (personalized or otherwise) or facilitating advertising measurement/attribution to better optimize or otherwise understand the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
Note that we and our third-party partners may combine information that each of us collects automatically with other information about you, including information you choose to provide.
We also obtain personal information from third parties, which we often combine with personal information we collect either automatically or directly from an individual. For example, we may receive the same categories of personal information described above from the following third parties:
● Other Users who Interact with our Services: We may receive your information from other users who interact with our Services.
⠀⠀⠀● Business Partners: We may receive your information from our business partners, such as companies that offer their products or services on our Services or on other properties (e.g., digital properties, offline locations) or marketing/advertising and analytics partners, including third-party brands/agencies or other partners that facilitate the buying and selling of advertising inventory on our Services, measure of the effectiveness of those related ad campaigns, or inform business analytics (e.g., view rates, bounce rates, audience composition).
⠀⠀⠀● Social Media Networks: When an individual interacts with our Services through various social media networks, such as when someone logs in through a social network, “Likes” us on Facebook, or follows us or shares our content on Google, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or other social networks, we may receive some information from those social networks including your profile information and any other information you permit the social network to share with third parties. We use this information to allow you to log into your account, to communicate or interact with individuals on the social network, to better understand the demographics of our visitors, and to personalize content and advertising. Individuals should always review and, if necessary, adjust their privacy settings on third-party websites and social media networks and services before sharing information or linking or connecting them to other services.
⠀⠀⠀● Information We Receive From Authentication Services: Some parts of our Service may allow you to login through a third-party social network or authentication service such as Facebook or Google. These services will authenticate the individual’s identity and provide the option to share certain personal information with us, which could include a name, email address, address book and contacts, or other information. The data we receive is dependent on that third party’s policies and the individual’s privacy settings on that third-party digital property. We use this information to authenticate the individual’s account, to provide our Services, to communicate with our users, and for advertising and marketing purposes.
⠀⠀⠀● Service Providers: Our service providers that perform services on our behalf, such as payment processors or survey and third parties who conduct marketing/advertising and analytics activities on our behalf, collect personal information and may share some or all of this information with us.
⠀⠀⠀● Information Providers: We may from time to time obtain information from third-party information providers to correct or supplement personal information we collect. For example, we may obtain updated contact information from third-party information providers to reconnect with an individual or obtain demographic information (e.g., interests, preferences).
⠀⠀⠀● Other Sources: We may also collect personal information about individuals that we do not otherwise have from, for example, publicly available sources, third-party data providers, brand partnerships, or through transactions such as mergers and acquisitions.
How Do We Use Personal Information?
We may use your information for various purposes, including:
- To fulfill your requests and provide our Services to you. This includes:
- Making our Services available to you;
- Coordinating access to your account
- Responding to requests, suggestions, questions, and comments, and providing other types of user support;
- Sending you service-related messages, such as changes to your account;
- Saving your reading lists, recipes, or other searches; and
- Communicating about, and administering your participation in, events, conferences, programs, contests, surveys, polls, panels, questionnaires, and other offers or promotions.
2. To personalize your experience on our Services: This includes providing you with content or other products or services you might be interested in and de-emphasize content you’ve already read or viewed.
3. For marketing purposes: We may send you communications about new features, updates, products, and special offers. We may also use your information to serve you ads about our products or other products or services we (or our advertising partners, such as other third-party brands/agencies) think you might find interesting. We may also use individual and aggregate information about you to inform our, and our third-party partners, marketing and advertising campaigns more broadly.
4. To communicate with you: For example, we may communicate with you about your account activities, such as by alerting you when a subscription is up for renewal. If you register with us, we may enroll you in our email newsletters or other periodic electronic communications and may also send you user surveys and promotional communications. We may communicate with you by email, postal mail, telephone, text message, or other means.
5. To monitor, improve, and develop our products and services: We may use your information to understand our users and to tailor or optimize our Services. For example, we may analyze statistics and trends to make our Services better and to develop or better personalize the Services or new services or features.
How We Collect This Information?
How Do We Protect Personal Information?
We maintain reasonable administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information you provide against accidental, unlawful, or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure, or use. That said, no security system is impenetrable and we cannot guarantee the security of our systems at all times. Thus, you assume some risk with regard to the security of information you provide through any digital property, including our Services. To submit reports on vulnerabilities found on our Sites, please send your message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What About Links to Third-Party Websites or Services?
Our Services may provide links to other digital properties that are controlled by third parties. Linked digital properties may have their own privacy notices or policies, which we suggest you review. We are not responsible for the content, usage, terms, or privacy policies of digital properties that we do not own or control.
U.S. State Privacy Notice
Your Privacy Rights
Depending on your state of residency, you may exercise the following rights under the State Privacy Laws in relation to the personal information about you that we have collected about you (subject to certain limitations under such laws, such as exceptions in the State Privacy Laws or the inability to verify your identity):
The Right to Access
Under the State Privacy Laws, you have the right to obtain confirmation regarding whether we are processing your personal information and to access that personal information. You also have the right to access that personal information in a portable, readily usable format, unless not technically feasible to provide in such a format.
Specifically with respect to the CCPA’s right to access, you have the right to request the following: (a) the specific pieces of personal information the business has collected about you and (b) the categories of personal information collected, the sources of collection, the business/commercial purpose for collecting or “selling/sharing” personal information, and the categories of third party to whom the business discloses personal information.
The Right to Deletion
You have the right to request the deletion of PI we have collected from you, subject to certain exceptions under the State Privacy Laws.
The Right to Correction
You have the right to request that inaccuracies in your PI be corrected, taking into account the nature of the personal information and the purposes of the processing of your personal information.
Under State Privacy Laws, you have the right to opt-out of “sales” and “shares” of personal information, “targeted advertising,” and certain use/disclosure of “sensitive” personal information.
We do not have actual knowledge of “selling” or “sharing” PI of consumers under sixteen (16) years of age.
What’s Our Policy With Respect to Children’s Personal Information?
Our Services are not designed or intended for use by children, and we do not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from children under the age of 16 (or the equivalent age of a child in your jurisdiction) on the Services. If we become aware that we have inadvertently collected personal information from a child under the age of 16 (or the equivalent age of a child in your jurisdiction), we will endeavor to delete any such information promptly. If you believe that we may have collected information from a child under 16 (or the equivalent age of a child in your jurisdiction), please send your message to email@example.com directly, and we’ll solve the issue soon.
How Can You Contact Us?